In the year (2012), IOSH conducted a study aimed to investigate the reality of occupational safety and health in the production and services sectors in Gaza Governorates, the most prominent results of that (90%) of the organizations working in Gaza Governorates are lacking implementation of OSH measures in the work environment, and (80%) of these organizations lack a clear policy within their strategic plans to reduce risk and occupational diseases suffered by employees in the work environment.
In the year (2015), a study by the Ministry of Labours showed a significant increase in the rates of f injuries and fatalities as a result of the poor adherence to the requirements and standards of OSH in the production and services sectors.
It should be noted that complying with the requirement of OSH is cost efficient as it costs less expenses than the losses resulting from non-compliance consequences, which causes direct and indirect economic damages draining the human and financial resources.
Having OSH in the various sectors of the Palestinian society as a vital investment in the sustainable development of these sectors
- Activating and having measurements of OSH in the work place through build the capacity of civil society organizations in the areas of networking and lobbying.
- Strengthen the partnership with government institutions to contribute to the application of OSH measures.
- Capacity building for the development of OSH policies in the work environment.
- Building the capacity of development programs of workers and staff in compliance with OSH measures.
- Encouraging the institutions to apply quality standards in the field of occupational safety and health (OHSAS 18001).
- Promoting the awareness and dissemination of OSH culture.
- Providing consultancy about:
- OSH management system.
- Public policies and strategic plans for OSH preparation.
- Preparation of security and safety plans for the implementation of construction projects.
- Follow-up procedures for investigating accidents and occupational injuries and adoption of plans and programs to reduce risk.
- Labors laws and regulations.
- For executive authorities on the development of injuries and illnesses monitoring and the risks and deaths in the work environment systems.
- Creating guidance manuals about:
- Occupational safety and health, and women’s health at the work place.
- Signs of safety found in the street.
- Creating guidance manuals, brochures, and posters related to occupational safety and health for organisations.
- Providing trainings:
- To build the capacity of the supervisors of occupational health and safety.
- To labor and staff about implementing projects safely within the guidelines of occupational safety and health.
- To policy makers about occupational safety and health.
- Coordinating with stakeholders related to the field of occupational safety and health.
- Providing specialists in the field of occupational safety and health when requested.
- Conducting studies about:
- The needs of workers and labors in the field of occupational safety and health.
- The hazards in the working environment.
- Occupational diseases and its effects on the workers and labors in the working environment.
- The reality of occupational safety and health (evaluation-survey-descriptive)
- The laws and legislations in Palestine about occupational safety and health, and its relevance and applicability in the society.
- Measuring the risks of environmental hazards via the institute’s mobile laboratory.
- Celebrating the International Day for Occupational Safety and Health.